HomeDublin

BROGANS

75 DAME STREET (GROUND FLOOR AND BASEMENT), AND 11/12 CRAMPTON COURT, Dublin

Pub details

Address
75 DAME STREET (GROUND FLOOR AND BASEMENT), AND 11/12 CRAMPTON COURT
County
Dublin
Eircode
D02 DX00
Licence reference
S0082

Building and heritage

This building shares proportions, scale and parapet height with its neighbours to the west, resulting in a coherent streetscape. Traditional materials including brickwork, joinery and granite dressings add to its historic character. The diminishing scale of upper floor fenestration attributes a hierarchy to each floor, creating a pleasantly balanced façade, which was typical of eighteenth and nineteenth-century townhouses. The ornate shopfront, as well as adding contextual interest, displays skilled carpentry, adding aesthetic interest to the façade and demonstrating high quality...

From the record · Verified background

What the archives say

Independent reporting and heritage records on this pub, drawn from a curated list of Irish news outlets, Revenue Commissioners, NIAH, and the Dictionary of Irish Architects. Every claim links to its primary source.

Listing historyCultural mentions

Revenue's renewed-liquor-licence register lists licence ref S0082 as a Publican's Licence (7-Day Ordinary) for BROGANS at 75 DAME STREET (GROUND FLOOR AND BASEMENT), AND 11/12 CRAMPTON COURT in DUBLIN CITY with HADVIEW TAVERNS LIMITED as licensee.[1]

NIAH records Brogan's Bar at 75 Dame Street/Crampton Court as a regionally rated building of architectural, artistic, and social interest, with previous name The Viking, original use as house, current use as public house, and date range 1740-1760.[2]

Irish Times writer Frank McNally placed Brogan's pub in Dame Street in a 1997 rugby-supporters column about French fans in Dublin.[3]

Sources  (3)
  1. Revenue Commissioners · Register of Renewed Liquor Licences · 2026-05-08
  2. NIAH · Registry entry, ref. 50020063 · 2015-03-22
  3. Irish Times · "Calm before the Landsdowne storming" · 1997-01-18

Reviewed pub lore

Local notes

Established

Built between c.1740 and c.1760.

Architecture

Traditional materials including brickwork, joinery and granite dressings add to its historic character. The diminishing scale of upper floor fenestration attributes a hierarchy to each floor, creating a pleasantly balanced façade, which was typical of eighteenth and nineteenth-century townhouses.

Community memories

Stories from people who know this pub

Loading community memories…

Know this pub? Add a memory