Established
Built between c.1810 and c.1850.
41/42 LOWER STEPHEN STREET, & 64 DRURY STREET, Dublin
Nos. 41-42 was originally a pair of houses, constructed in the first half of the nineteenth century. The ground floors converted for commercial use around the mid-century. No. 42 was noted as a grocers in the Street Directories of 1862. The stucco embellishments were likely added during the late nineteenth century, and were a common method in the Victorian period of enriching the austere façades of existing Georgian-style buildings. Later converted and internally remodelled for use as a public house, the frontage has had modern insertions but some earlier (possibly late nineteenth-century)...
From the record · Verified background
Independent reporting and heritage records on this pub, drawn from a curated list of Irish news outlets, Revenue Commissioners, NIAH, and the Dictionary of Irish Architects. Every claim links to its primary source.
Reviewed pub lore
Established
Built between c.1810 and c.1850.
Architecture
Nos. 41-42 was originally a pair of houses, constructed in the first half of the nineteenth century. The ground floors converted for commercial use around the mid-century. No. 42 was noted as a grocers in the Street Directories of 1862.
Community memories
Loading community memories…