Established
Built between c.1900 and c.1905.
EXISTING LICENSED PREMISE AT 16 MALAHIDE ROAD AND AN EXTENDED ATTACHED, TO AND ADJACENT SAID PREMISES THE EXTENSION THAT THE AREA OUTLINED, WITH A GREEN VERGE BE DE-LICENSED, Dublin
Prominently located at the junction of Aughrim Street and Manor Street, this Victorian red brick public house enhances the streetscape with an individualistic and distinctive form. The public house was designed by George L. OConnor in 1901, a Dublin architect whose varied commissions included Catholic churches, buildings for the Sisters of Mercy and the Christian Brothers, hospitals, libraries, commercial premises, cinemas, public and private housing. He also designed the International Bar on Wicklow Street, where he reprised the square-profile red brick piers. Originally built for...
From the record · Verified background
Independent reporting and heritage records on this pub, drawn from a curated list of Irish news outlets, Revenue Commissioners, NIAH, and the Dictionary of Irish Architects. Every claim links to its primary source.
Revenue's renewed-liquor-licence register lists licence ref N0136 as a Publican's Licence (7-Day Ordinary) for KAVANAGH'S at 16 Malahide Road in Dublin City, with PATRICK KAVANAGH (MARINO HOUSE) LIMITED as licensee.[1]
Dublin City Council's Area 5 weekly planning list records application WEB1519/24 at 16 Malahide Road, Clontarf West, Dublin 3, for a wall-mounted branded awning and outdoor dining/drinking/seating area beside the existing public house, and records a refusal decision dated 2024-06-24.[2]
The Irish Times reported that a Dublin District Court case about an alleged assault at Kavanagh's pub on the Malahide Road was dismissed on 2017-06-29 after Judge John Cheatle held that no assault had occurred.[3]
Reviewed pub lore
Established
Built between c.1900 and c.1905.
Architecture
Prominently located at the junction of Aughrim Street and Manor Street, this Victorian red brick public house enhances the streetscape with an individualistic and distinctive form. The public house was designed by George L.
Community memories
Loading community memories…