Established
Built between c.1840 and c.1860.
1 CHATHAM STREET, AND PART OF 63 GRAFTON STREET, Dublin
There has been a public house on this site since at least the early 1850s. The name Neary can be traced back to 1887 when Thomas Neary was the proprietor and the name has stayed with the bar ever since. It appears that the building was refronted in the early twentieth century, possibly part of alterations carried out by Francis Bergin in 1915. A local landmark, the shopfront is an exemplary and eye-catching addition to the streetscape. The lamp fittings to the façade are of particular note and interest. The upper levels maintain the scale and proportions of the neighbouring buildings, and...
From the record · Verified background
Independent reporting and heritage records on this pub, drawn from a curated list of Irish news outlets, Revenue Commissioners, NIAH, and the Dictionary of Irish Architects. Every claim links to its primary source.
Revenue's renewed-liquor-licence register lists licence ref S0077 as a Publican's Licence (7-Day Ordinary) for NEARYS at 1 CHATHAM STREET, AND PART OF 63 GRAFTON STREET in DUBLIN CITY with J R HARDY DESIGNATED ACTIVITY COMPANY as licensee.[1]
NIAH identifies Neary's as a regional-rated public house at 1 Chatham Street, dates the building to 1840-1860, says a public house has been on the site since at least the early 1850s, and traces the Neary name to Thomas Neary as proprietor in 1887.[2]
A 1999 Irish Times diary summarising Tom Corkery's Dublin presented Neary's in Chatham Street as a theatre-folk pub and placed Flann O'Brien among the voices heard there in literary Dublin.[3]
The Irish Times reported that an FSAI closure order was served on Neary's, Chatham Street, on 27 November 2008, lifted the next day, and served on ME Hardy and Sons.[4]
Reviewed pub lore
Established
Built between c.1840 and c.1860.
Architecture
There has been a public house on this site since at least the early 1850s. The name Neary can be traced back to 1887 when Thomas Neary was the proprietor and the name has stayed with the bar ever since. It appears that the building was refronted in the early twentieth century, possibly part of alterations carried out by Francis Bergin in 1915.
Community memories
Loading community memories…