Established
Built between c.1895 and c.1900.
159 PHIBSBOROUGH ROAD, Dublin
This public house makes an interesting contribution to the architectural character of the area around Doyle's Corner. Its traditional late nineteenth-century shopfront retains a number of early features including an unusual distorting mirror. A good Victorian interior survives intact. A public house was in operation on this site as early as 1832 and, ten years later, Michael Campion was named as the proprietor of a grocery and toddy shop. The Hut was described as a possible meeting place of extremists in a report (14th November 1894) by Assistant Commissioner John Mallon (1839-1915) of...
From the record · Verified background
Independent reporting and heritage records on this pub, drawn from a curated list of Irish news outlets, Revenue Commissioners, NIAH, and the Dictionary of Irish Architects. Every claim links to its primary source.
Revenue's renewed-liquor-licence register lists licence ref N0234 as a Publican's Licence (7-Day Ordinary) for THE HUT at 159 PHIBSBOROUGH ROAD in DUBLIN CITY with INVER INNS LIMITED as licensee.[1]
NIAH records The Hut as a Regional-rated public house dated 1895-1900 and notes its late nineteenth-century shopfront, surviving Victorian interior, and public-house use on the site by 1832.[2]
Reviewed pub lore
Established
Built between c.1895 and c.1900.
Architecture
Its traditional late nineteenth-century shopfront retains a number of early features including an unusual distorting mirror. A good Victorian interior survives intact. A public house was in operation on this site as early as 1832 and, ten years later, Michael Campion was named as the proprietor of a grocery and toddy shop.
Community memories
Loading community memories…