HomeDublin

THE NORSEMAN

29 EAST ESSEX STREET AND ADJOINING EXIT 28 EAST ESSEX STREEY AND, REAR 27 EAST ESSEX STREET (OTHERWISE KNOWN AS 12/13 TEMPLE LANE, AND 25/26/27 EAST ESSEX STREET, Dublin

Pub details

Address
29 EAST ESSEX STREET AND ADJOINING EXIT 28 EAST ESSEX STREEY AND, REAR 27 EAST ESSEX STREET (OTHERWISE KNOWN AS 12/13 TEMPLE LANE, AND 25/26/27 EAST ESSEX STREET
County
Dublin
Eircode
D02 XH60
Licence reference
S0084

Amenities

  • Limited wheelchair access

Building and heritage

This building, with its ornate detailing and corner entrance, is an imposing landmark at the junction of Essex Street East and Eustace Street. The upper floors are enlivened by render embellishments, adding visual interest to the streetscape and displaying skilled craftsmanship. Mid-nineteenth-century maps show two buildings on this site, and Thom's Directory of 1862 describes them as being in use by a single tenant, as a vintners. Essex Street was opened in 1674, and named after Arthur Capel, the Earl of Essex and Lord Lieutenant of Ireland at the time. The street was divided into east...

Reviewed pub lore

Local notes

Established

Built between c.1910 and c.1930.

Architecture

This building, with its ornate detailing and corner entrance, is an imposing landmark at the junction of Essex Street East and Eustace Street. The upper floors are enlivened by render embellishments, adding visual interest to the streetscape and displaying skilled craftsmanship.

Community memories

Stories from people who know this pub

Loading community memories…

Know this pub? Add a memory