Established
Built between c.1865 and c.1885.
33 SOUTH RICHMOND STREET AND, 2, 3 AND PART OF 4 CHARLEMONT MALL, Dublin
A considerable amount of architectural detailing in the timber bargeboards, carved finials and bundled chimneystacks make this building an eye-catching addition to the streetscape. The cruciform roof, gables and dormer windows give it a strong Victorian character. Set on a prominent corner site, its scale, massing and siting on a rise close to the bridge, make it an imposing presence in the surrounding area. The building, formerly known as Davys Pub, was occupied by members of the Irish Citizens Army during the 1916 Easter Rising, when the strategic location adjacent to the bridge was...
From the record · Verified background
Independent reporting and heritage records on this pub, drawn from a curated list of Irish news outlets, Revenue Commissioners, NIAH, and the Dictionary of Irish Architects. Every claim links to its primary source.
NIAH records The Portobello as a regional-rated building dated c.1865-1885, noting its Victorian character, timber bargeboards, carved finials, bundled chimneystacks, gables, and dormer windows [1].
Reviewed pub lore
Established
Built between c.1865 and c.1885.
Architecture
A considerable amount of architectural detailing in the timber bargeboards, carved finials and bundled chimneystacks make this building an eye-catching addition to the streetscape. The cruciform roof, gables and dormer windows give it a strong Victorian character.
Community memories
Loading community memories…