HomeDublin

THE RESTAURANT

PORTION OF THIRD FLOOR NUMBERS 41,42,421/2 AND 43 WICKLOW STREET, THE BROWN THOMAS DEPARTMENT STORE, 85-95 GRAFTON STREET, 38-46 WICKLOW STREET AND 1-5 CLARENDON STREET, Dublin

Pub details

Address
PORTION OF THIRD FLOOR NUMBERS 41,42,421/2 AND 43 WICKLOW STREET, THE BROWN THOMAS DEPARTMENT STORE, 85-95 GRAFTON STREET, 38-46 WICKLOW STREET AND 1-5 CLARENDON STREET
County
Dublin
Eircode
K67 E3E0
Licence reference
1011136

Building and heritage

End-of-terrace five-bay two-storey ashlar granite commercial building, built 1924, with pilasters to ground floor and pair of single-bay single-storey bowed oriel windows. Designed by Francis Peter Russell (1883/4-1967).ROOF: Flat-roof behind cut-granite parapet. WALLS: Front elevation with pilasters; capitals; moulded cornice; string course and decorative parapet having pilasters and gabled centre piece and clock; nap rendered to return; painted. OPENINGS: Square-headed openings; granite sills to front elevation; replacement timber fixed-pane display windows; replacement glazed timber...

From the record · Verified background

What the archives say

Independent reporting and heritage records on this pub, drawn from a curated list of Irish news outlets, Revenue Commissioners, NIAH, and the Dictionary of Irish Architects. Every claim links to its primary source.

Listing history

Revenue's renewed-liquor-licence register lists licence ref 1011136 as a Publican's Licence (7-Day Ordinary) for THE RESTAURANT at PORTION OF THIRD FLOOR NUMBERS 41,42,421/2 AND 43 WICKLOW STREET, THE BROWN THOMAS DEPARTMENT STORE, 85-95 GRAFTON STREET, 38-46 WICKLOW STREET AND 1-5 CLARENDON STREET in DUBLIN CITY with BROWN THOMAS ARNOTTS LIMITED as licensee.[1]

NIAH records the associated building as a Regional-rated ashlar-granite commercial building built in 1924 and designed by Francis Peter Russell.[2]

Sources  (2)
  1. Revenue Commissioners · Register of Renewed Liquor Licences · 2026-05-08
  2. NIAH · Registry entry, ref. 11343017 · 2026-05-12

Reviewed pub lore

Local notes

Established

Built between c.1920 and c.1925.

Architecture

End-of-terrace five-bay two-storey ashlar granite commercial building, built 1924, with pilasters to ground floor and pair of single-bay single-storey bowed oriel windows. Designed by Francis Peter Russell (1883/4-1967).ROOF: Flat-roof behind cut-granite parapet.

Community memories

Stories from people who know this pub

Loading community memories…

Know this pub? Add a memory