HomeDublin

THE SWAN BAR

57/58 YORK STREET, Dublin

Pub details

Address
57/58 YORK STREET
County
Dublin
Eircode
D02 RW67
Licence reference
S0127

Building and heritage

A prominent purpose-built public house. Casey (2005) dates it to 1897, but the Dictionary of Irish Architects suggests a rebuild in 1913 by architects G.T. Moore, Keefe & Robinson. Recently restored, this decorative building exhibits an array of façade decoration and an impressive shopfront, and retains fine interior fittings. A landmark in the streetscape, the decorative façade treatment and curved corner successfully bookends a terrace of varied building types, adding to the architectural character on this stretch of Aungier Street. The façade reputed to retain bullet holes from 1916 Rising.

From the record · Verified background

What the archives say

Independent reporting and heritage records on this pub, drawn from a curated list of Irish news outlets, Revenue Commissioners, NIAH, and the Dictionary of Irish Architects. Every claim links to its primary source.

Listing historyNotable eventsClosure signals

Revenue's renewed-liquor-licence register lists licence ref S0127 as a Publican's Licence (7-Day Ordinary) for THE SWAN BAR at 57/58 YORK STREET in DUBLIN CITY with THE SWAN BAR LIMITED as licensee.[1]

The Irish Times reported in 2014 that the Swan Bar on the corner of Aungier Street and York Street had undergone considerable restoration after damage during the severe winter of 2010 and had been given funding for window repairs.[2]

The Irish Times reported in 2019 that Sean Lynch, Ronan Lynch and Swan Bar Ltd settled a High Court defamation action over a 2016 article saying the Swan Bar had closed and was for sale.[3]

The apology read in court said that closure-and-sale statement came from an inaccurate press release supplied by selling agent Lisney.[3]

Sources  (3)
  1. Revenue Commissioners · Register of Renewed Liquor Licences · 2026-05-08
  2. Irish Times · "EUR700,000 fund to protect historic buildings in Dublin" · 2014-08-15
  3. Irish Times · "Owners of Dublin bar settle defamation case" · 2019-07-11

Reviewed pub lore

Local notes

Established

Built between c.1885 and c.1905.

Architecture

A prominent purpose-built public house. Casey (2005) dates it to 1897, but the Dictionary of Irish Architects suggests a rebuild in 1913 by architects G.T. Moore, Keefe & Robinson. Recently restored, this decorative building exhibits an array of façade decoration and an impressive shopfront, and retains fine interior fittings.

Community memories

Stories from people who know this pub

Loading community memories…

Know this pub? Add a memory