Established
Built between c.1870 and c.1890.
71 UPPER DORSET STREET AND 1 HARDWICK PLACE, Dublin
Temple Bar is named after Sir William Temple and his son Sir John Temple who acquired the land between the River Liffey and Dame Street in the seventeenth century. The area was fully reclaimed and developed by the early eighteenth century and became a mixed residential and commercial quarter. Commercial directories record J. Baker locksmith and general smith here in the mid-nineteenth century but by the late nineteenth century the building, along with those to the west, was in use as tenements, which may subsequently have been rebuilt. The brick, granite and timber sash windows are...
From the record · Verified background
Independent reporting and heritage records on this pub, drawn from a curated list of Irish news outlets, Revenue Commissioners, NIAH, and the Dictionary of Irish Architects. Every claim links to its primary source.
Revenue's renewed-liquor-licence register lists licence ref N0089 as a Publican's Licence (7-Day Ordinary) for THE TEMPLE at 71 UPPER DORSET STREET AND 1 HARDWICK PLACE in DUBLIN CITY with QUAYKOFF TAVERNS LIMITED as licensee.[1]
NIAH records the associated building as a Regional-rated structure dated 1870-1890 and notes Temple Bar district history, nineteenth-century directory evidence, and surviving brick, granite, and timber-sash fabric.[2]
Reviewed pub lore
Established
Built between c.1870 and c.1890.
Architecture
Temple Bar is named after Sir William Temple and his son Sir John Temple who acquired the land between the River Liffey and Dame Street in the seventeenth century. The area was fully reclaimed and developed by the early eighteenth century and became a mixed residential and commercial quarter. Commercial directories record J.
Community memories
Loading community memories…