HomeDublin

TURKS HEAD CHOP HOUSE

PART OF GROD FLOOR OF 27& 30 PARLIAMENT ST & 2 ESSEX GATE, 1ST/2ND/3RD, FLOOR 27,28,29,30 PARLIAMENT ST & 2 ESSEX GATE & 4TH 5TH FLOOR OF 29 &, 30 PARLIAMENT STREET & ENTIRE 1 ESSEX GATE, 7 8 9 & 10 UPR EXCHANGE ST, Dublin

Pub details

Address
PART OF GROD FLOOR OF 27& 30 PARLIAMENT ST & 2 ESSEX GATE, 1ST/2ND/3RD, FLOOR 27,28,29,30 PARLIAMENT ST & 2 ESSEX GATE & 4TH 5TH FLOOR OF 29 &, 30 PARLIAMENT STREET & ENTIRE 1 ESSEX GATE, 7 8 9 & 10 UPR EXCHANGE ST
County
Dublin
Licence reference
S3577

Building and heritage

The Turk's Head and Chop House tavern was established in 1760 and, like many buildings on Parliament Street, was rebuilt in the nineteenth century. The moulded brick articulates the front elevation and attests to the high quality of machine-made brick in the latter part of the nineteenth century. The timber sliding sash windows contribute to the building's patina of age. Historic maps show that the building was formerly numbered 16 and 17 Parliament Street. Thom’s Directory of 1862 confirms that the original 'Turk's Head Chop House' tavern at number 16 Parliament Street had a change of...

From the record · Verified background

What the archives say

Independent reporting and heritage records on this pub, drawn from a curated list of Irish news outlets, Revenue Commissioners, NIAH, and the Dictionary of Irish Architects. Every claim links to its primary source.

Listing historyNotable events

Revenue's renewed-liquor-licence register lists licence ref S3577 as a Publican's Licence (Ordinary) Hotel - BF - 1902 Act (Public Bar) for TURKS HEAD CHOP HOUSE at PART OF GROD FLOOR OF 27& 30 PARLIAMENT ST & 2 ESSEX GATE, 1ST/2ND/3RD, FLOOR 27,28,29,30 PARLIAMENT ST & 2 ESSEX GATE & 4TH 5TH FLOOR OF 29 &, 30 PARLIAMENT STREET & ENTIRE 1 ESSEX GATE, 7 8 9 & 10 UPR EXCHANGE ST in DUBLIN CITY with AMPBAY LIMITED as licensee.[1] An Irish Independent court report said a plaintiff told the Circuit Civil Court that he and friends had just left The Turks Head pub club in Temple Bar on 2003-07-04 at about 3am.[2]

Sources  (2)
  1. Revenue Commissioners · Register of Renewed Liquor Licences · 2026-05-08
  2. Irish Independent · "Man awarded €18,000 after assault by gardaí" · 2006-04-07

Reviewed pub lore

Local notes

Established

Built between c.1850 and c.1870.

Architecture

The Turk's Head and Chop House tavern was established in 1760 and, like many buildings on Parliament Street, was rebuilt in the nineteenth century. The moulded brick articulates the front elevation and attests to the high quality of machine-made brick in the latter part of the nineteenth century.

Community memories

Stories from people who know this pub

Loading community memories…

Know this pub? Add a memory